I am nomad. Hear me roar.

_____________________________________________

Monday 6 June 2011

Wistful about Winton

"Once a jolly Turtlepack camped by a billabong, under the shade of a coolabah tree..." are the appropriated lyrics of a dream that will not be.

A couple of weeks ago, I applied for a job. At that point in time I was still hopeful that I might be able to save faster for my next big trip if I secured myself another remote position, this time in outback Queensland, in the little rural town of Winton. While I was waiting to hear back about the role, I did a lot of research on Winton.

It turns out Winton is pretty exciting. Well, pretty exciting to an über geek like me at least, because Winton, you see, has dinosaurs. It has an enormous fossil site of a dinosaur stampede, which was studied to create the gallimimus stampede in Jurassic Park. Like I said, it's pretty exciting.

It also used to be one of Banjo Paterson's haunts, and it is said that the billabong under the shade of the coolabah tree is just outside Winton, where the ill-fated swaggie met his demise. See, it's really exciting.

If that wasn't already enough, on top of dinosaurs and suicidal swagman, there is also an opal quarry.

I could hardly contain my excitement, you probably think I'm being sarcastic. I'm not. I'm just a really big geek.

The job was at the cutest little old style pub too, and as you may have surmised I didn't get it, so I'm not going to Winton, at least not until I can go there on super über über geekie holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment