I am nomad. Hear me roar.

_____________________________________________

Sunday 12 December 2010

Roman Art

After my visit to the Monkey Park the other day I missed the bus, I took this as a sign that I should instead walk back via the nearby Shiga Kogen Roman Art Museum.

It is in an unusually designed building with a large glass conical restaurant attached. The gallery contains several fixed exhibitions, one of Roman glass vases and bottles, which have all developed a beautiful iridescence from being underground for so long. This was followed by a collection of lamps from the Edo period, which was frankly a touch mundane.

The gallery also at the moment is holding a temporary exhibit of the works of an artist called Honshiyou Motoe. The works were very interesting, a little bit comical, a little bit grotesque, many were very highly sexually charged, which was really quite unexpected after the lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment