I am nomad. Hear me roar.

_____________________________________________

Sunday 25 July 2010

Poster Child


The M-osaurus Rex and I set out for the National Museum of Art Osaka, and found a strange building housing 2 exhibitions, almost completely underground. The entrance and foyer existing under a tall fish-like sculpture of metallic piping, are the only sections of the building above ground, it has 3 levels below it.

The lowest level contained a very vibrant collection of poster art by a gentleman called Tadanoki Yokoo. There were over 700 posters in the collection, each being more eclectic and iconic than the last, not one that was ordinary in the entire collection. It was intense and bombarded our sense of sight but we loved every second of it.

The other exhibition was not quite as memorable. The work put me in mind of animated series' such as 'The Maxx' and 'Aeon Flux' but didn't have the same level of impact. I came out of the exhibition at a bit of a loss, maybe feeling that there had been no point to the works, or no meaning, or maybe I just didn't get it. Over all, I have to say I didn't like it very much. M-osaurus Rex was found a few of the works more likable than I did.

On the way back to our hotel we stumbled across the basement food hall of one of the department store attached to the train station. It. Was. Fabulous. If we had found that the poster collection had overwhelmed our eyes, this just ensnared every sense at once. I didn't know what to do or where to go first. There were aisles of jellies and macaroons of every colour and flavour imaginable, rows of bento containing their little degustation treats, towers of tempura, a plethora of piscean pieces, and bread, proper savoury sour dough that I hadn't yet seen in Japan. The smell of the food wafting over us, was enticing, and we succumbed, purchasing our dinner on the spot, a combination of salads, sushi, tempura, beer and bento. Oiishi desu ne. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment