I am nomad. Hear me roar.

_____________________________________________

Monday 6 December 2010

Immigration Intimidation

There may have been a party last night, I can't quite be certain, but it definitely feels like there was a big party last night.

Just kidding. I remember everything clearly enough to know that the hangover I have, is nothing compared to the hangover I actually deserve. Thank you Red Bull. I am also thanking my lucky stars for this, as completely hungover is definitely not the best way to tackle immigration first thing in the morning. As it turns out however, handling them only slightly hungover is passable.

Now, before anyone freaks out, the reason I was at immigration was simply to extend my visa which runs out on the 3rd January. I actually went for the first time a couple of weeks ago to apply to extend it, but despite my application being accepted, I didn't want to jinx it by writing about it until I actually had the new visa in my hot sweaty little hand. I also had to brave my new ward office at Abeno to register my new address before they would approve my visa, so they can track my every little gaijin move in a Big Brother-like fashion. All of which I had been putting off because I had had such issues with it the first time, and I was still steeling myself for the fight. I needn't have worried as the whole change proved itself to be a 5 minute affair, meaning that either Abeno is awesome or I am getting better at this whole Japanese red tape thing. Then, the other day I received a postcard summons in the mail, and today I stumbled back into immigration ready to hear the worst.

The Japanese government, it would seem, is crazier than I thought. They are letting me stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment