I am nomad. Hear me roar.

_____________________________________________

Monday 3 October 2011

Simple aka Blogtoberfest Day 2

Small things amuse me.

For example, that sentence, the first thing I would like to do with it, is to succeed it with the time honoured quip "That's what she said..." and giggle like a schoolgirl for longer than is socially acceptable.

The phrase "small things amuse small minds" always seems to float around my grey matter at this point, and I wonder at it's validity or my intelligence. Is the ability to laugh easily, to find amusement and pleasure in simple daily things, really a characteristic of the small minded?

Oscar Wilde, JRR Tolkien and Leonado Da Vinci have all spoken on the subject of simplicity. Wilde once said "I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex", and Da Vinvi is quoted with "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication", whilst Tolkien states through his character Bilbo Baggins "it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life". As these three are generally not considered to be small minds, I conclude that I too, am safe to like the little things.

Kelloggs, in relation to their cornflakes, would also have us believe that "The simple things in life are often the best". I agree with their marketing whole heartedly, especially as I attribute this as being the reason I love my Dad (aka Captain Obvious) so much.

Nothing brings this home to me quite so much as the movie Amélie. It's a truly beautiful film, about petite pleasures. About all those teeny tiny things in life, that just give you that feeling, that minuscule electric rush, that always causes a flash of a smile to creep, unwittingly into the corner of your mouth. It's these little things that make everyday life worthwhile. Each character is introduced with a short biography of their indulgences.

If I were portrayed in Amélie my preface would be;

Little Girl Lost likes running her fingertips over the smooth, cold, satin edging on blankets so much so that she is compulsively unable to walk past a satin edged blanket without touching it. She likes baking and decorating biscuits and cookies of all shapes and sizes, and hates the way no one says "goodbye" when hanging up the telephone in movies.

What would your Amélie-esque introduction be?

No comments:

Post a Comment